Monday, January 27, 2014

40 Day Fast

Yes family and friends I am fasting for 40 days! Call me crazy, call me insane, but it really works! 

Okay so I'll explain that first, you don't need to worry about me I'm not actually fasting for 40 days, I'm doing a 40 day fast of thoughts and different actions. It's to help sanctify the mission. Sister Banks talked about how they did one last year at the beginning of the year as well. So it's exciting! We started yesterday with a real fast, and as we were in the mood of fasting and praying, we thought of things we could do better, stop doing, or start doing, to help us be more sanctified as a mission. I.E. thoughts of home, more obedient with the morning or evening schedule, negative thoughts, etc. You can also fast specific food, i.e. m'n'm's, deserts, etc. 

No I am not fasting m'n'm's, I'm not that crazy! :P But I do encourage everyone to do something like this. Everyone who's done it before said it really helps them. And everyday in the 40 days, we start with a prayer asking Heavenly Father to help us with these things and end the day with a prayer asking for forgiveness or thanking for the help He gave. Throughout the day if thoughts come into your mind about these things, you pause, move the thought aside, say a prayer, and go on through the day. It really is so amazing! 

So for those who did not hear, I don't think I mentioned it last week, but the Elder's in Burlington got emergency transferred out. So Sister Perez and I took on all Burlington, including any investigators the Elders had that were progress (thank goodness it was only 2!). But there will be more Elders at transfers (Feb 4th). 

There's this sweet little girl in our apartment complex (she's like 10), but she just loves us! We talk with her every couple of days, when she's playing at the play ground or walking her dog. Well she's in girl scouts. And you can see where this is going because it's girl scout cookie season.... yes I bought girl scout cookies, just one box though! And I'm not going to buy any more because they are EXPENSIVE! Goodness! 

MIRACLE!!! So last Monday was a holiday, so we were working. We knocked on this guys door, he was on the phone, but said he wanted to talk to us, so we gave him our number and left. We thought, "Well it'd be nice if he called, but the chances of that are like 1 in a million!" Well this is that one in a million chance! This was the millionth door! (probably not, but close!) HE CALLED ON TUESDAY! We set up an appointment for Wednesday! It was so great! His name is John and he is looking for a sense of community. GAH! I'm so excited for him! When he taught him, he said he'd done some research on Wikipedia (YIKES!) about the Mormons! But he listened and still wanted to meet. We met again on Saturday at the Gayneir's house. He didn't come to church though :( He didn't feel well on Sunday morning. But he's still excited to come next week! 

Yesterday I hit my 7 month mark. I know it's crazy! I cannot believe it either. I've been here for 7 months! But it's been the best 7 months ever!!! :) 

So James, our other investigator, came to church yesterday. He (this is going to sound racist, but it's not meant to be!) is from a Southern Black Baptist background. So during the talks in Sacrament Meeting he was saying, "Amen" and "Praise the Lord" throughout all the talks. They were really good talks, it was just something different here in the South. 

I love you and miss you all! I know the church is true! I know the Gospel is pure! 

Love, 
Sister Loosle 

No comments:

Post a Comment