Monday, September 23, 2013

"Are you making noise or are you making music?"

Hello Family and Friends! 

This week has been a whole bunch of ups and downs. 

Last Monday my district played Basketball at the church. It was a lot of fun! It's also very interesting playing as missionaries, because Elders have to guard Elders and Sister have to guard Sisters. But it's still super fun!

On Tuesday we ate a members house and had Chicken Liver. Well let me tell you, it's definitely NOT my favorite food! So far that's the most interesting thing I've had on my mission! But we'll see because I've only been out for 3 months! Which brings me to. . . A week from tomorrow are transfers. I don't know what will happen yet, but I'll know on Saturday(which is the General Relief Society Conference that I invite all the women to watch! :) ) 

We started teaching a less-active, Brother Valdez, on Facebook. Which is a very interesting way of teaching. Because you're online, you can't really have a prayer at the lesson, so it's pretty much a gospel conversation with commitments. 

I gave training at District Meeting. That was scary! but I hope it was good. I gave it on "Teach People, Not Lessons" by "Using the Scriptures". And then I had to make role-play criteria! (Role playing is what it sounds like, usually one missionary pretends to be an investigator and the other will be the missionary. And you just go through a lesson or part of a lesson). 

So we FINALLY taught Jody a lesson. She was a referral we received the second week we were here. We got in contact with her then, but she kept canceling our appointments. Until Friday night, when Sister Banks and I were trying to figure out who we needed to go and see, because it was almost 8 and it was really dark! (We try not to knock on doors past7:30 because it's getting dark earlier!). Anyway after we prayed I had a really strong impression that we needed to try Jody. When we got to her house it was pitch black! So we sat in the van (yes we drive a van) wondering if there was someone else we needed to try, when all of the sudden she pulled up. She let us in and we taught her part of the Plan of Salvation. It was a miracle!!!!

Church yesterday was just amazing! We talked about Developing our Talents in Gospel Principals and Elder Bednar's talk from last conference "We Believe in Being Chaste" in Relief Society. Being chaste is so important. I've grown up with being taught the Law of Chasity, but it just hit me yesterday how important it really is. How much Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ trust us with the power to create a life and how much the world just abuses that power.
 
 The Stake Presidency came and spoke yesterday and their talks were amazing! President Jarvis gave a great talk on the gospel train is accelerating. How years ago, we could be on the gospel train and get off and play in the "woods" or play with sin and then sprint to catch up or go through the repentance process and still jump on the train. But now the train is accelerating and there no way that we can jump off and dilly-dally in sin and expect to get back on just as easy. The process of repentance is becoming harder, not because the gospel is harder to follow, but because the sins the world is committing are becoming worse and worse.
 
 President Hiatt then gave a great talk on "Are we making noise or are we making music?" And gave the analogy of an orchestra. And how if you go before while they are each practicing their different instruments, not playing together, you'll hear noise. But when the conductor comes out and instructs what to play, you hear music. We need to be in tune with the Savior and listen to the Spirit to make music instead of noise. 

I love the gospel of Jesus Christ. I love being a missionary. I honestly do not know where I would be without this gospel. I love you all. 

Love, 
Sister Loosle  

No comments:

Post a Comment